Pages

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

ER/Emerge/Accident and Emergency

On Sunday evening after Fearghus got up from his nap he was looking for a snack.  As it was almost dinner time I decided to give him some peanuts so he wouldn't get overly full.  He started chowing down when suddenly I heard a wheeze and he started screaming and screaming.  I saw that there was a peanut stuck up his nose! Apparently he inhaled it up through his sinus canal. We tried to pry it out with tweezers but there was nothing doing.  He was hysterical so (feeling very foolish) I called the ambulance.  The paramedics came and did their best but that nut wasn't budging! They gave a teddy bear to each kid and we decided to bring him into the local hospital Hotel Dieu.  When a doctor finally got to see him it was a couple of hours later and the peanut was still visible near his nostril.  However when the doctor tried to use long tweezers to get the peanut out he just succeeded in pushing it farther back to the point where you could hardly see it at all.  Fearghus at this point had a blood nose and was hysterical.  Finally they had to get the resident, the attending and two nurses to come, hold him down and remove the peanut! It took the attending three tries before the whole thing came out.  It seemed pretty huge to me compared to his little nose! This kid needs to learn to eat slower and will be fed crushed peanuts until he is 20.