Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Knitting Frenzy

I have gone through times in my life when I've enjoyed knitting.  Once I used to get a knitting magazine that had me practising new stitches and knitting skills each week.  I think that's where I learned a lot of basic knitting techniques.  However, since moving to LA I haven't really taken out the needles.  Recently however I discovered that one of my good friends from work is a bit of a knitting addict, this got me interested.  However, it wasn't until I discovered I was pregnant and started researching reusable nappies that I really got bit by the knitting bug again.  My knitting friend, Guinevere, introduced me to the coolest website www.ravelry.com where you could find every knitting pattern you would ever want.  Some patterns are free, some cost a small sum of money to download.  Whatever pattern you're interested in, you can also see how other people made this item (different colour wools, little personalisations etc).  Anyway I bought this particularly popular soaker pattern.  A soaker is a nappy cover made of wool, wool is water resistant especially after it is soaked in lanolin and wool soakers work really well as nappy covers.  Then I invested in lots of superwash wool yarn and got knitting! Below is the result.  8 soakers :)












While knitting these soakers I found myself learning a lot about knitting and fixing a lot of bad habits.  I especially improved my finishing techniques.
I then decided to branch out and make one or two more items for little Fung.  I found it hard to find really cute, neutral items, but I was very excited when I found this absolutely gorgeous owl sweater.  I ended up using the exact wool and colour suggested by the pattern because it was so beautiful.  I kind of went crazy with this one and ended up knitting the whole thing in 2 days.  I loved knitting this!  The owls were so cute.  It took a while before I finally bought buttons to give the owls eyes, but I eventually finished this last week and I'm pretty pleased with the result.



Finally, I decided it was time to knit a blanket.  I wanted to have a sheep theme in our baby's nursery but I was finding it difficult to get some nice bedding with sheep on it, so I decided to make it myself.  I enjoyed knitting this blanket.  I did begin to hate the sheep towards the end but ultimately I was pleased with the results.  I enjoyed learning new stitches while making this one.



Pregnancy update: We're 36 weeks now.  I've been having lots of lovely "fake" contractions.  Today my Dr. gave Andrew the okay to head to Philadelphia for a couple of days next week however so nothing will be happening for a while, for now :)

Please let me know your favourite knitting projects in the comments section, or some constructive criticism is much appreciated.

7 comments:

Sandra said...

Love the jumper and blanket.
Sandra

Abby Green said...

You are one super knitting mama...what a lucky baby!! I love all the soakers, but especially the red/gray one and the blue variegated one...sooo cute!! That sweater is adorable too!
If mama is needing something for her, I recently made the Shalom Sweater/short sleeved cardigan which is a free (and easy) pattern on ravelry!

Anonymous said...

they are all pretty amazing, but the blanket is my personal favourite. adelle

Anonymous said...

Hey you!

Your knitting is amazing & inspiring! I love to knit, but feel like I never have the time anymore.

You are amazing!

-Your diabetes nurse educator <3

Dungie said...

wow! I love everything but I absolutely love the sheep blanket! Please teach me!!!! I can't wait to see you guys soon! I really want to visit soon. Love, Dung

christarella said...

these are fabulous woolies! have you thought about making and selling some? I am actually wanting to start a stash of them for diapering because I am loving wool!

Marie said...

You are a knitting machine!!! I should learn how to knit just to make soakers... You are inspiring, lady :-)