Pages

Monday, September 28, 2009

It should have happened on Wednesday but I was sooo hungry...

On Wednesday Andrew hurried me down to Santa Monica Pier on one of his 'surprise dates'. It was a perfect evening with a beautiful sunset over the sea. We planned on heading to the ferris wheel as we had gone on it a few years before and had really enjoyed it. There's a beautiful view of Santa Monica and the beach from it and I really love big wheels :) Unfortunately though I was very hungry and I convinced Andrew that he wouldn't want to take me up on ferris wheel on an empty stomach cos I'd get grumpy :) So poor Andrew had to wait for me to eat my scallops as the sun went down. Still determined to go on the big wheel, we headed in that direction only to find that it was closed for the evening. I was disappointed but didn't mind so much-at least my stomach was full -Andrew, however had to wander around for the rest of evening with the ring in his pocket.

We decided to give the ferris wheel another go on Friday -this time we were equally determined to make it, food or no food. I had no idea that Andrew was going to propose because he gave me the distinct impression that he had no ring yet. When the ferris wheel slowed near the top Andrew said 'I have something for you'. I said 'no you don't!'. He reached into his pocket and something fell-he looked around in a panic as though he had dropped the ring-I was confused at this point because as far as I was concerned there should be no ring let alone a ring that had just fallen off the ferris wheel into the pacific ocean. He was just messing with me (it was a coin that he dropped) Then he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him.

The ring is so beautiful. I asked Andrew for a Marquise diamond with yellow gold. He went to the jewelry district in downtown LA and picked out a magnificent diamond with the slightest touch of yellow. Then he chose a setting online and had one of the jewelry shops custom make it. It has a trinity knot on either side of the stone. I really love it and I can't stop looking at it. Andrew says I'm obsessed :P
We're hoping to get married next June here in LA. I hope many Irish friends and family will be able to make it!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww!I couldn't help thinking when I heard he proposed on a ferris wheel 'what if he dropped the ring'. Congrats again to ye both. I can't wait to see the ring properly, it looks really unusual. Sharon, you look really happy !
Sandra

Anonymous said...

Great story!
Typical girl, spoiling poor Andrew's arrangements by being too hungry!
Dara

Una said...

Really enjoyed reading this. I read it aloud to Noel at the same time and didn't quite manage to keep the tears at bay! That ring is so beautiful. It says so much! The Lord bless you both as you enjoy these very special months of your engagement. I always think it's a specially precious time. (And yes, I'll do my best to be there, God willing!!)

Anonymous said...

So happy for you both!! Very exciting proposal! Congratulations once again!!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you both. You look serenely happy, Sharon. The ring looks lovely. Try not to look at it while driving. :D Abigail says she's jealous :P.
Mary and co.

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU BOTH ITS GREAT NEWS LOVELY RING VERY ROMANTIC GOOD 'OL ANDREW SHARON YOU GOT A GOOD MAN AND ANDREW YOU GOT A GOOD WOMAN THE LORD BLESS YOU BOTH LOVE HYLDA

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to you both, lovely pictures.
From Liam