Pages

Monday, January 31, 2011

Day Six Philippines Adventure

On Friday afternoon the pig returned. This time wrapped in banana leaves with yummy crispy skin! We enjoyed celebrating Cheryl’s birthday and the staff enjoyed watching me weigh out my food and counting carbs (so weird!). I left my lap top charger in the internet café (surprise surprise) so I drove into town again in the afternoon to pick it up. On our way in we saw come cockerel fights! I forgot my camera though! I also had the privilege of trying out the public bathrooms in Roxas. Enough said.

Despite the celebrations this day at the hospital was a day that I’ll probably not easily forget. We heard some time in the morning that a family had arrived with a little 9 month old baby with hydrocephalus. Apparently this family had been to Puerto with the baby when the baby first started to have problems but couldn’t afford to travel to Manila to have a shunt put in. Dr. Ted was asked to come to consult and he invited me to come along. I was not prepared for what I saw. Thankfully the Lord was gracious and kept me from reacting negatively to this sweet little girl with a hugely deformed head. It was heart breaking to see how lovingly cared for this little girl was, but how hopeless the situation was for the family because they couldn’t afford the health care.

No comments: