I've been struggling. For a long time. I have a lot of very bad housekeeping habits. I'm messy. I leave things lying around. I'm easily distracted by...anything. And unless someone is breathing down my neck (like a boss or a mean scary husband -which I don't seem to have), I'll let things slide. And I find excuses for everything!
When I have a new space I love setting it up and organising things. My Montessori instinct kicks in, and I have a place for everything and everything in its place. I did this when Andrew and I returned from our honeymoon to our first home together, our lovely little apartment in West LA.
However once I started work and life got busy, the apartment wasn't so tidy...it was okay, but our bedroom became the dumping ground. My excuse was work.
Then I got pregnant. I took the summer off work and I started to improve the house a little bit, but I went back to work and then we moved. I finished work and tried to tidy our new place a bit but then we realised that we were moving to Canada-what was the point? We're moving, I'm huge and I'm tired. So that apartment went to pot. Then Béibhinn was born...and we moved countries...and I never had time to organise anything...and I had a tiny baby...and our new house remained in a state of permanent pot...
And I'm not planning on going back to work, I'm planning on being a full time mum and housewife and I'm pregnant again and breastfeeding and I'm hoping to have more than two children and I'm pretty sure I'll have ample excuses for many years to have a messy house in a state of permanent pot...
So things need to change. I need to be a decent housewife, if not a great housewife, I need to kick these habits.
So three weeks ago I determined to develop a new habit and to give myself two to three weeks to develop this habit, one habit at a time. And I've chosen a time in my life when I have MANY excuses not to do these things. I have a nine month old baby, I'm breastfeeding, I'm in my first trimester, I'm exhausted, I have morning sickness, Béibhinn has stinky cloth nappies, I have diabetes. So many excuses, but I am determined with the help of the Holy Spirit to change my ways and to develop one new habit at a time. The past three weeks I started with making my bed every morning (yes my bad habits are many and my house is VERY messy).
I think I'm there. I do my best to make the bed AS SOON as I get up in the morning. This means the bed SHOULD be made no matter how busy my day will be. Andrew has really loved this new development and he said that having one thing in a room done makes it feel like the room has been taken care of. I don't fuss too much over the bed. I just make sure it's presentable. Here is my newly made bed this morning - woohoo!
This week I've moved on to habit #2. Making sure our dining table is clean and tidy after each use. This is will be a habit I will work on for the next two to three weeks.
Here's hoping and praying that over the next months I will slowly but surely develop simple habits that lead to a generally clean home and a happier wife, hubs and baby.


1 comment:
I like it :))
Post a Comment